Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Boiled Oatmeal Cookies for a Cold Day


December managed to FLY by and now here we are - it's 2014 and the height of New Year's Resolution season. I, like many, went to a tortuous exercise class and feel a little more determination to be healthy in the new year. While stocking up on new exercise clothes (you know, to motivate me), I bought a new digital scale. Well, let me tell you -- that thing is a big fat liar. Right when I was all determined to be better, the Polar Vortex hit. I will blame the storm for keeping me away from yesterday's torturous exercise class and forcing me to make cookies.

Like much of the country, Atlanta has been hit with crazy cold temperatures. My kids were even out of school yesterday because of the cold. We don't need snow down here to call off school. Temps of 8 degrees Fahrenheit will do just fine. When it's too cold, snowy or icy to leave the house, there's a certain cookie I crave: boiled chocolate oatmeal cookies. These cookies area really confections -- a super easy fudge meets peanut butter and oatmeal. There's not much to look at (in fact, my Granny used to call them cow piles), but they sure are tasty. They remind me of the cold and snowy days of my childhood when Mama would stir up a batch. I forgot that I had already shared the recipe here in one of my first posts about "Snowmageddon" back in 2011. Here it is again revamped and with prettier pictures. My photos were really pretty pitiful back then. They're still not pro quality but I'm getting there. I finally got a new camera and am excited to get back into food photography.

So, put those New Year's Resolutions on hold for just a moment and whip up some of these cookies. They are sure to keep you warm on cold winter day. When it warms up, I will get back to the gym and do my penance. Everything in moderation, my friends!



Boiled Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

½ cup (1 stick) butter
½ cup milk
2 cups sugar
½ tsp. salt
4 heaping tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup peanut butter (Mama used crunchy, I use creamy because my kids like it)
3 cups oatmeal (quick cooking or traditional will work)

Heat the butter and milk in a heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, until the butter is melted. Whisk in the sugar, salt and cocoa until smooth. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 1 ½ minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the oatmeal and drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper or aluminum foil. You will need to work quickly as i will start to harden. Allow to cool and become firm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment