Friday, February 10, 2012

Sweet Potato Scones (For Your Sweet)

Nothing says lovin' like sweet potatoes. Skip the flowers and chocolates -- how about a heart shaped sweet potato scone for that special someone? Sweet potatoes have long been praised for their aphrodisiac powers. In ancient times, sweet potatoes were given to loved ones as symbols of affection. (I jest!!) But, sweet potatoes do have other powers of the, um, digestive variety. Let's just put it this way, they're really good for you and I'm kind of fan. I've already written an ode to sweet potatoes here and here, so I'll keep this short. I had some leftover sweet potatoes from dinner last night, and hence these scones.

A heart shaped scone for your sweetheart.

Mother to the Southern-style biscuit, scones have a special place in my heart. I'm also kind of an anglophile. (Are watching Downton Abbey? If you're not, you should!) I thought it would be fun to cut them into hearts, but you could cut them into circles or traditional wedges. Whip some of these up this weekend for the perfect  Valentine's Day brunch or afternoon tea. Stay tuned for something of the more indulgent, traditional Valentine's Day variety soon!

Care for a spot of tea?

Sweet Potato Scones
Adapted from Taste of Home
2-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter
1 egg
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange zest

In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potatoes, buttermilk, vanilla and orange zest; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. The mixture will still be very crumbly.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; with lightly floured hands, knead dough 10-12 times. Work in a little more milk if the dough seems too dry and crumbly. Pat into 8 inch circle and cut into eight wedges. Or, cut with a cookie cutter. Place wedges or pieces  1 in. apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Yield: 8 scones. (Yield will vary for cut shapes depending on size of cutter.)

Cinnamon Orange Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons of half and half 
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
grated orange rind (just a touch)
dash of salt

Whisk together ingredients and add milk in small increments to reach desired consistency. If the icing gets too runny, add a little bit more sugar. Really, you can't go wrong! 



4 comments:

  1. These look fabulous! I am going to make these. I love the orange glaze sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jen! Thanks for visiting and I look forward to checking out yoru site. I do enjoy peanut butter and peppers! :)

      Delete
  2. I plan on making these tonight! I've honestly been afraid to make scones... thinking mine will turn out hard as hockey pucks. but, I love sweet potatoes and last night had 2 leftover from dinner. So, perfect, I have all of the ingredients I need, and my husband promises to help. He's good at the baking stuff! Sweet pictures!! Thanks for the recipe, it doesn't intimidate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, April! Let me know how they turn out! I am not that experienced with scones, but found these pretty easy. I think the sweet potato adds plenty of moisture, so they shouldn't turn out tough. Next time I make them, I think I'm going to try adding a little roasted pecans or raisins!

    ReplyDelete