Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

I'm not ready! I'm not ready! That's what I feel like screaming today. This is one of the most important food times of the year -- a celebration of bounty and harvest. And it opens up the gates for the holiday food binging to come. I have so many things I want to write about and recipes to share, but haven't had the time to extract them from my brain. As is the nature of freelance writing, it's feast or famine -- and right now it's feast time for me. While I am excited to have new assignments and opportunities, I miss writing about fun things here. Fear not, however. I'll be back -- maybe with a Thanksgiving retrospective. And, of course, there's my St. Simon's trilogy. So much to do, so little time ...

For now, here's one thing I have managed to cook successfully today. Cranberry sauce (the real kind) is a must for me. Nestled next to Granny's chicken and dressing, there's nothing better. This year I was inspired by a recipe from a fellow blogger, Kitchen Runway, for Cranberry Pear Sauce. It's a keeper. Yum! I can't wait to try it tomorrow and thought I'd share it with  you just in case you are last minute like me and still browsing the internet for recipes!


Cranberry Pear Sauce
Adapted from Kitchen Runway

12 ounces of fresh cranberries
2 pears, peeled, cored and cubed (about the size of cranberries)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
orange zest (as much as you feel like)
ginger, fresh grated or powdered (around 1/2 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Wash cranberries and set aside. Bring orange juice, water and sugars to a boil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add cranberries, pears, cinnamon, orange zest and ginger and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. When the sauce is thickened and most cranberries have burst, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool and store in the refrigerator until turkey time.

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving. Are you ready?

p.s. I'm thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment