Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Blog

January is a time for new beginnings. Or, to start again and successfully complete beginnings you started a long time ago. One of those “old beginnings” is this blog, which I started last March and immediately abandoned. (I actually have three blogs I’ve started and abandoned, but I digress.) I think I have struggled because there is so much in the blogosphere and I couldn’t seem to find my niche. After thinking more about it, I’ve decided maybe I don’t need to find a niche or “market,” but just write about what I am passionate about. One thing I quite enjoy is food. Eating is also something I do every day. Another thing I really enjoy and think about daily is history and culture. Why not write about what happens when those things collide?

When I first started this blog, I wanted to write about my journey toward healthier, more local and sustainable eating. I will still write about that as it is still a goal of mine. However, I think I also want to focus here on food traditions – in particular foods and foodways related to the American South. Around the dinner table is where food, family and culture come together. I love thinking about and exploring these connections. So, I will. My hope is that I will stick with us and that’s we’ll all learn something (and eat a lot of really good food) in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment